The stock of fruit trees at the community orchard was added to in December. First
the Eco-warriors from Machen Primary School planted several trees followed by sponsors
from our community. A story appeared in the Echo about this.
The produce from the orchard is available to all. If you have the opportunity to
tend to a few of the trees by clearing weeds from around the trees then this will
ensure the orchard thrives for everybody.
Memorial to “Ace”
The sun shone on 13th October when a memorial to Noel Filer, known as “Ace” was placed
on the mountain. More than 40 people, young and old snaked their way up to pay tribute
to the man who did so much work on the mountain over many years.
Projects for 2013
If you have any ideas or would like to see us doing something in addition to what
is happening at the moment, please feel free to contact us!
We are a community group open to everybody. We look at issues affecting our community
and tackle them proactively. We do this through running our own events, helping other
community organisations to achieve their goals, and campaigning for improvements
with local authorities. Our focus is on sustainability by using new and existing
resources from within our communities wherever possible. We believe we are already
making a difference. Please see below to see what we have done so far!
Our focus is on the South Wales communities of Machen, Draethen, Waterloo, Graig-y-Rhacca,
Bedwas, Rudry Trethomas and Lower Machen.
• Community Orchard Planted
• Rural Market
• Village Clean Up
• Community Transport
• Recycling Initiatives
• Assisting Machen Primary School with various projects
• Networking with local businesses to make people aware of local skills
• To have our communities prepared in the face of challenges associated with fossil
fuel depletion and climate change
• To use an approach which involves combining the furtherance of social cohesion
• To create a plan for our future that prepares us for challenges ahead
• To facilitate education and training/re-skilling in sustainable ways of living
• To create sustainable resources
• To co-ordinate new and existing resources for the benefit of the communities in
the short and long term